Our primary research focusses on luminescent glycoclusters and materials as sensors for bacterial lectins. These systems will be developed into diagnostic technologies for detecting bacterial infections.
We also have an interest in antimicrobial properties of novel carbohydrate-derived compounds, such as metal complexes and multivalent materials.
We have further expertise in luminescent self-assemblies, such as lanthanide complexes, supramolecular chemistry, carbohydrate chemistry, coordination chemistry and organometallic chemistry (including catalysis).
- K Wojtczak, JP Byrne*, “Structural considerations for building synthetic glycoconjugates as inhibitors for Pseudomonas aeruginosa lectins”, ChemMedChem, 2022, Advance Article, https://doi.org/10.1002/cmdc.202200081
- JP Byrne, L Delgado, F Paradisi, M Albrecht*, “Carbohydrate-functionalized triazolylidene iridium complexes: hydrogenation catalysis in water with asymmetric induction”, ChemCatChem, 2022, 14, e202200086; 10.1002/cctc.202200086; Part of a special collection on Carbohydrate Chemistry
- C O’Reilly, S Blasco, B Parekh, H Collins, G Cooke, T Gunnlaugsson, JP Byrne*, “Ruthenium-centred btp glycoclusters as inhibitors for Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilm formation”, RSC Advances, 2021, 11, 16318; 10.1039/D0RA05107A
- JP Byrne, M Albrecht*, “Anion-cation synergistic metal-free catalytic oxidative homocoupling of benzylamines by triazolium iodide salts”, Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, 2020, 18, 7379; 10.1039/D0OB01472A
- AA Molar-Cuni, JP Byrne, P Borja, C Vicent, M Albrecht*, J Mata*, “Selective conversion of monosaccharaides into sugar acids by dehydrogenation in water”, ChemCatChem, 2020, 12, 3746; 10.1002/cctc.202000544 [pdf]
- JP Byrne, P Musembi, M Albrecht*, “Carbohydrate-functionalized N-heterocyclic carbene Ru(II) complexes: synthesis, characterization and catalytic transfer hydrogenation activity” Dalton Transactions, 2019, 48, 11838; 10.1039/C9DT02614B [pdf]
- DB Barry, CS Hawes, JP Byrne, B Poulsen, M Ruether, JE O’Brien, T. Gunnlaugsson*, “A folded [2×2] metallo-supramolecular grid from a bis-tridentate (1,2,3-triazol-4-yl)-picolinamide (tzpa) ligand” Dalton Transactions, 2017, 46, 6464; 10.1039/C7DT01533J
- JP Byrne*, AB Aletti, S Blasco, G Hessman, T Gunnlaugsson*, “Self-templated btp Catenanes Formed by Triazolyl Hydrogen Bonding; The Formation of Selective Anion Hosts for Phosphate”Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2016, 55, 8938; DOI: 10.1002/anie.201603213
- JP Byrne, M Martínez-Calvo, RD Peacock, T Gunnlaugsson*, “Chiroptical Probing of Lanthanide‐Directed Self‐Assembly Formation Using btp Ligands Formed in One‐Pot Diazo‐Transfer/Deprotection Click Reaction from Chiral Amines” Chemistry – A European Journal, 2016, 22, 486; DOI: 10.1002/chem.201504257
- JP Byrne, JA Kitchen, JE O’Brien, RD Peacock, T Gunnlaugsson*, “Lanthanide directed self-assembly of highly luminescent supramolecular ‘peptide’ bundles from α-amino-acid functionalized 2,6-bis(1,2,3-triazol-4-yl)pyridine (btp) ligands” Inorganic Chemistry, 2015, 54, 1426; DOI: 10.1021/ic502384w
- SJ Bradberry, JP Byrne, CP McCoy, T Gunnlaugsson*, “Lanthanide luminescent logic gate mimics in soft matter: [H+] and [F−] dual-input device in a polymer gel with potential for selective component release” Chemical Communications, 2015, 51, 16565; DOI: 10.1039/C5CC05009J
- EP McCarney, JP Byrne, B Twamley, M Martínez-Calvo, G Ryan, ME Möbius, T Gunnlaugsson*, “Self-assembly formation of a healable lanthanide luminescent supramolecular metallogel from btp ligands” Chemical Communications, 2015, 51, 14123; DOI: 10.1039/C5CC03139G
- JP Byrne, JA Kitchen, O Kotova, V Leigh, AP Bell, JJ Boland, M Albrecht, T Gunnlaugsson*, “Synthesis, structural, photophysical and electrochemical studies of various d-metal complexes of btp [2,6-bis(1,2,3-triazol-4-yl)pyridine] ligands that give rise to the formation of metallo-supramolecular gels” Dalton Transactions, 2014, 43, 196; DOI: 10.1039/C3DT52309H
- JP Byrne*, JA Kitchen, T Gunnlaugsson*, “The btp[2,6-bis(1,2,3-triazol-4-yl)pyridine] binding motif: a new versatile terdentate ligand for supramolecular and coordination chemistry” Chemical Society Reviews, 2014, 43, 5302; DOI: 10.1039/C4CS00120F
Conference report: JP Byrne, P Melle, M Valencia, Á Vivancos, “Homogenous Catalysis – New Paradigms, Wonderful Applications” – Swiss Chemical Society Spring Meeting, University of Bern, 21st April 2017, Chimia, 2017, 71, 316; DOI: 10.2533/chimia.2017.316
Contributions to Faraday Discussions, 2019, 219, including the discussion on “Preparation of multivalent glycan micro- and nano-arrays”